The Hope Service would like to offer Parent and Carers the opportunity to attend topical sessions on Self Harm, Walking the Middle Path and Emotional Regulation from the Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT) model.
DBT is a therapy model that has been developed for:
- People who self-harm (e.g. self injury, suicidal thoughts and behaviours)
- People who struggle with or have problems with relationships
- People who have strong feelings that are difficult to cope with
- People who suffer from depression and anxiety
- Drug and alcohol problems
- Eating disorders
The Hope Service currently offers a DBT skills group in the day programme which covers the following topics:
- Mindfulness (focussing the mind; staying in the moment; directing attention; understanding how you feel)
- Emotional regulation (recognising emotion and reducing emotional intensity)
- Distress tolerance (reducing impulsivity; crisis management; tolerating emotion)
- Interpersonal effectiveness (keeping relationships steady; getting what is needed; maintaining your self-respect)
- Walking the Middle Path (learning not everything is black and white; practising acceptance in the moment; listening to other peoples views)
The DBT skills group aim is to help young people develop strategies to better tolerate emotions and manage maladaptive behaviours. To better support young people using a DBT approach it is helpful and essential for their parents or carers to also be aware of the DBT model and learn and utilise the skills.
The topical sessions on Self Harm, Walking the Middle Path and Emotional Regulation will run at either Hope Epsom and Hope Guildford, attendance is not restricted to either location.
|Date and Time||Topic||Venue|
|Wednesday 30 May 2018, 10:00 - 12:00pm||Self-Harm||Hope Guildford, Between 57 & 59 Worplesdon Road, Guildford, GU2 9RS||Booking link|
|Tuesday 7 August 2018, 10:30 - 12:00pm||Walking the Middle Path||Hope Guildford, Between 57 & 59 Worplesdon Road, Guildford, GU2 9RS||Booking link|
|Thursday 1 November 2018, 10:30 - 12:00pm||Emotional Regulation||Hope Epsom|
Woodside Lodge, West Park, Horton Lane, Epsom, KT19 8PB